Post #10-Growth
Blog Post 10 Growth
Which event that you learned about from the Church History textbook presentations did you find most interesting and why?
The event that I found most interesting while learning about Church history was the Crusades. These events lasted between 1095 – 1291, or the medieval period in Europe. The significance of the Crusades period was that it was a period in which the Latin Church aimed to restore Christianity to places that had been overthrown by the Moors, or Muslim people or Jews. However, the Church went about converting others in violent ways. People who practices religions other than Christianity in Europe were burned at the stake, imprisoned, and charged for heresy. I find this interesting because I wander what it must have been like for people in the Church who did not believe in violence but took part in it anyway. I also find it interesting that people in present times seem to forget the terror brought on by Christianity throughout history, and are so quick to judge Islam today.
Which person whom you learned about from the Church History textbook presentations did you find most interesting and why?
I enjoyed learning about Pope Francis. I do not know much about our current head of the Catholic Church, and after taking a trip to the Vatican recently, I was excited to learn more about him. I learned that he was born in Argentina, making him the first pope born outside of Europe in 1,000 years. He also speaks 6 languages and is able to communicate with many people because of this. Pope Francis is also a man of poverty and believes in protecting creation. I love how he cares about the planet, as protecting our planet is so important and he is a great influence.
If you end up being known as an influential figure in history, what do you want to be remembered for?
Personally, I would want to be remembered for bringing happiness and hope to other people. I do not think that there is presently enough positivity in this world, and hope that if I had influence on others I could help them be more positive. Hopefully, people would remember me as a great Broadway performer or singer. However, I feel that you don't have to be famous to have influence. If you live everyday in a kind way, a lot of people will be touched by you. I honestly just hope that I stay happy and healthy throughout my life, and that would be enough.
How have you personally experienced growth (either mentally, emotionally or spiritually) after your own challenges in life?
One example that I can think of is struggling to accept that not all people will like you if you choose to be yourself all the time, but that is ok. I have learned to just be myself constantly, no matter who is watching me, because the friends and relationships that others choose to have with me will be real and not with my facade. Being a performer, I have also experienced rejection and not being the "favorite" of a director. I have grown to move past others opinions of me. My favorite two quotes have become: "The best revenge is to improve yourself", and "The only person that you can be better than is the person you were yesterday."
This is a picture of my 8th grade class retreat. I grew so much on this retreat by getting to know myself and the people in my class who I grew up with. Now I look back and see how far I have come on my journey. I am more confident in myself, have grown passionate about performing, and have many opportunities in my future. I feel very #blessed.
Comments
Post a Comment