Blog Post #6 The Beatitudes

The Beatitudes

By Sophia Bouzid

                                  <IMAGE LABELED FOR NON COMMERCIAL REUSE>
I chose this image because it resonates with how Jesus received the beatitudes on a mountain.  I believe that God has a message for each of us, and if we climb our personal mountains, we will find this message.  Sometimes, struggles are sent to us by God in order to teach us lessons.  Life is a mountain.

  • What were new things that you learned about the Beatitudes?
    Unlike Moses' Ten Commandments, which focus on force and exaction, and portray God as mercilessness and cruel, the Beatitudes focus on love and humility and portray God as a forgiving power. The overall message of the Beatitudes is that if we as humans abide by God's rules, we will gain something good in return, and possibly reach the kingdom of heaven. I enjoyed learning that God will show an equal amount of love to those of poor spirit because they are in need. Although I learned about the beatitudes in middle school, I never really understood what they meant to a great extent. The biggest aspect of the beatitudes that I took away from this lesson was the peaceful manner in which Jesus delivered these blessings.
  • Which beatitude resonates with you the most and why?
    Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled.  This beatitude resonates with me the most because I am passionate about women's rights and religious tolerance.   I know what it feels like to be judged or outcasted because my beliefs differ from others or because my feministic views seem taboo.  Besides myself, I truly respect people who have either died or suffered for their beliefs and for the better of their people.  People who have the courage and faith to take a stand deserve God's fulfillment because just like Jesus, suffering for righteousness is the ultimate sacrifice.
  • What were some things you realized during the class discussion (“speed dating”)?
    The speed dating exercise was interesting because not only did I get to learn more about others, but I also became familiar with their struggles and experiences. I realized that everyone goes through challenges that relate to the beatitudes. I think what makes us human is our ability to understand each other's struggles, or at least begin to comprehend them. I think that every life experience is unique, but that we all face challenges of our own kind. It is amazing that even at a young age of fifteen or sixteen, God has challenged us so many times already.
  • How can you display the beatitudes more in your life?
    I can display the beatitudes in my life by being kind and taking every day as a blessing. I think that if I can feel gratitude towards God on a daily basis, I can then apply myself to the beatitudes in a more effective way. For example, instead of fearing what others may think, I can openly advocate for and support feminism and its views. I can also maintain a humble and meek attitude, as I live in a world that offers me so much opportunity and material things. Lastly, I can concern myself with those that are hurting, and try to bring them peace and hapiness, no matter to the extent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2 Bible Archaeology

Blog post #8 Suffering