Blog Post #5: Parables

Blog Post #5: Parables


  • Multimedia Explanation: I chose an image of a sunrise because every day is a day to make something better.  Whether that be doing a kindness to someone, improving a relationship, or deepening you spirituality, God gives us a sunrise to give us new chances.  I see a sunrise as a reminder of forgiveness.

  • What specific things did you learn from your group's parable?
  • I found my group's parable interesting because the message behind our story was about being kind to other, however, Jesus taught our parable to help His apostles understand forgiveness. This particular story is about extending kindness to others. Sin is debt, and humans are imperfect. Humans will inevitably sin, so we should try to show kindness to others to make up for our sins. Likewise, a person who is forgiven many times should should show the same forgiveness to others. Lastly, I learned that no matter how many times someone has done you wrong, you must try and forgive them in order to be happy yourself.
  • What specific things did you learn from the parables that were presented by the other groups?
  • In the Parable of the Sower, I learned that there are three specific types of people who read God's message. These types include people who read the message and don't understand it, people who read but do not believe, and people who read His message and apply it to their lives. The people who try their best to live by God's word will be rewarded in the afterlife, but also find happiness and peace on Earth. In the Laborers in the Vineyard, I learned that one should not question God's decisions or rewards. Sometimes, people who walk longer and harder paths in life will find the same rewards as people who appeared to have had it easier, but this is all God's plan. The concept of forgiving people you love is shown in the Parable of The Prodigal Son. Again, main themes in these parables were forgiveness and trusting in God's decisions.
  • Which moral/lesson impacted you the most and why?
  • The lesson that meant the most to me was the story of the Prodigal Son. I personally relate to this story because no matter how many times I have messed up or made a mistake, my own parents have always forgiven me. From a young age, I was taught that God was the only one who's judgement mattered. In a sense, this is true, but I also care what my family thinks of me, and am grateful to have such a supportive family. To me, family is extremely important, and so I do my best to forgive my siblings when they wrongly treat me. I think that love is more important than judgement.
  • What do you think it would be like if Jesus were physically in our society today?
  • I believe that if Jesus were in our society today, he would talk a lot about loving yourself. So many people lack love for themselves, because social media and modern society has made self acceptance very difficult. Loving yourself first is the only way that you can truly love another. I think Jesus would talk about how prejudices and hatred is wrong. I think that the discrimination in today's world is overwhelming, which is sad because God's main message is love of all of His children. Jesus would teach us that God is truly the only to judge, and it is no one's place to do this.
Image Citation: <labeled for None Commercial Reuse>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2 Bible Archaeology

Blog post #8 Suffering